Smartphones with Snapdragon SoCs are considered the best ones for modding, as there are generally many more custom ROMs and recoveries for these handsets. Nevertheless, this does not mean that modding cannot be done with other phones. The best flagship by Honor: Honor View 10, have just received recovery support from the official TWRP custom recovery and LineageOS 15.1.
These phones will be able to run many custom ROMs, and LineageOS 15.1 will be among the best ones that the users will be able to install. It is worth noting that these smartphones also support Project Treble since they run Android 8.0 Oreo, and it means that AOSP ROMs can be easily ported to them. There is just an issue on LineageOS 15.1 for Honor View 10; the wireless display feature does not work. So, if you install this custom ROM you will not be able to connect your device to an external monitor via Wi-Fi.
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
According to the developer who released the ROM for Honor View 10, all the rest of the features work properly. But keep in mind that it is not an official version, even though all the features present in the official release are included. The steps to install LineageOS 15.1 on the two high-end devices are slightly different from the usual. If you want to get all the instructions to install the custom ROM, just follow the guidelines given below.
How to Install LineageOS 15.1 on the Honor View 10
- Make an off-device backup of all important files. It is very likely that you will need a full data wipe in order for this to boot.
- Unlock your device’s bootloader.
- Reboot to bootloader. The easiest way is to plug in your phone, power it off, then hold power+volume down.
- Download LineageOS 15.1 for Honor View 10 from this link or select other builds from here.
- Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the same directory where you downloaded the system image from above.
- Enter the following command:
fastboot flash system system.img
- Note: replace “system.img” with the exact name of the image you downloaded. At the time of this article’s publication, that would be “system_20180306.img”
- Reboot the phone. If your phone starts bootlooping, let it continue until it brings you to Huawei’s recovery screen asking you to do a low-level data wipe. Select that option with the power button and let it do its thing.
- Once the data wipe is finished, you should successfully boot up into LineageOS 15.1.
After that, you’re free to customize whatever you want on the device.
- Camera ( Videos And Photos )
- Video Playback
- Audio ( Record and Playback )
Not working :
- Wireless display
- Screen recording
- Signal strength is reported incorrectly