Smartphone technology should never get too sophisticated to exclude the elderly. Sometimes, when we think what our elderly relatives need is just a device that can make phone calls and offer one or two additional functions, they are much more capable of using simple Android phones that will make them better connected with friends and family and give them a feeling of inclusion in the technological age and further advancement.
But then, simple Android phones suitable for the use of senior citizens are hard to come by. Therefore, to avoid ceaseless searching and the wrong conclusion that there is no suitable phone for old people out there, I have come up with the best Android phones that grandma and grandpa can use just fine.
Android Phones for Senior Citizens
Emporia Smart (the elderly’s choice)
In this era of smartphone technology, it is hard to come by a phone that has both touchscreen and keypad features. Such is the dynamism loaded by the manufacturer of Emporia Smart. It is a very good phone for senior citizens, as they will have the freedom to switch to the traditional keypad if they get bored with the touchscreen.
Why Emporia Smart?
- User Interface: the phone is loaded with Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, which relieves the old ones of the sophistication and advanced technology of the later Android versions. It is also easy to navigate.
- Emergency Call button: Another of the added extras that makes it a good Android phone for the elderly is its emergency call button, which can send a call to up to five preset numbers at a time.
- Hearing Aid Compatibility: it comes with a M4/T4 hearing aid rating, which makes it an even more choice-able Android phone for seniors.
Emporia Smart Specifications
|Display||4.5 – inch display|
|Operating System||Android 4.4.2 Kitkat|
|Storage||1GB RAM and 4GB internal storage (expendable to 64GB)|
|Battery||2,600 mAh battery|
|Hearing Aid Compatible||M4/T4 rating|
Where to buy Emporia Smart
Ebay – $134.68 | Amazon – $160.99
This GreatCall manufactured smartphone is a model of Android phone for the elderly. Unlike the Emporia Smart, it comes with a larger 5.5-inch screen, which will make it even easier to use for the elderly with vision problems.
Why Jitterbug Smart?
- The Medical help: it provides medical and emergency services. This is easily accessible on the device. This becomes helpful when we have an elderly person with medical challenges at home. It helps give us peace of mind knowing fully well that, to some extent, Jitterbug Smart will enhance from the outside when there is a need for one.
- The Simple Menu: The simple menu that comes with the Jitterbug Smart interface makes it one of the best Android phones for seniors.
|Display||5.5 – inch display|
|Operating System||Android 5.1|
|Storage||8GB internal storage (expendable to 32 GB)|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M4/T4 rating|
Where to buy Jitterbug Smart
Amazon – $78.01
It is a simple Android or iOS device or tablet that offers senior users an easy way to get connected with family and friends. This is an 8-inch tablet/Android phone for the elderly. With this phone at hand, there is no more boring moments for the idle old ones. Grandpad can be used to watch movies and take pictures with its wide display type.
- Big Screen: This is one of the reasons why the GrandPad is the toast of senior Android phone users. With its big screen, it will be easy to mark out text and watch movies.
- Remote Control: It is possible to control GrandPad remotely. Therefore, making it an additional advantage, especially when the old man just won’t get the gist at a try. You can help control things on the phone while at the office.
|Display||8 – inch display screen|
|Operating System||Android OS|
|Storage||2GB RAM and 32GB ROM|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M4/T4 rating|
Where to buy GrandPad
Bestbuy – $199.99
READ ALSO: Android phones that have big battery
This is best recommended for tech-savvy seniors. The user interface is quite easy to navigate. There is no sophistication that is often seen in most Android phones these days. It makes a great choice for the elderly with its 6.28-inch display. This would enable them to have a better experience while using the phone. However, for an old man, it is advisable that a OnePlus 6 protective case be used to avoid damage when it drops.
Why OnePlus 6
- Big Screen: Like I said earlier, the 6.28-inch screen would be an added advantage as texts and other information would come out well. Making up for the blurry sight of some old people.
- Battery Life: it has a long battery life compared to the previously discussed smartphones.
OnePlus 6 Specifications
|Display||6.28 – inch|
|Operating System||Android 8.1 Oreo|
|Storage||128GB ROM (expendable to 256GB)|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M3/T4 rated|
Where to buy OnePlus 6
Amazon – $435 | Jumia NG – N188,552
The Motorola Moto G6 was selected to be on the list of best Android phones for seniors because of its nice display and water resistance features.
It is also affordable and comes with a wide 5.7-inch full HD+ display, which allows for font increment. Just the right Android phone for the old man.
Why Moto G6
- Good Display: It has a fantastic full HD+ display. This is a good one for the old ones as it helps enhance their sight and gives them phone use experience.
- Big Screen: The screen size is also important when choosing an Android phone for the elderly. It determines whether the text would be eligible enough. This is important even more if the old man is the type that uses the Android phone to read the news on the internet.
Moto G6 Specifications
|Display||5.7 – inch display|
|Operating System||Android 8.0 Oreo|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M4/T4 rated|
Where to buy Moto G6
Amazon – $169.99
I do believe you have been able to select the Android phone you want for a senior, provided it’s on the list?! I would like to have your feedback in the comment section. And then, do not hesitate to ask questions concerning buying an Android phone for seniors.